Mortgages for Firefighters
Firefighters put their lives on the line each day to protect citizens and their property when disaster strikes. When others run from danger, these dedicated civil servants answer the call to make a difference in our communities.
In recognition of their exceptional service, several programs exist to help firefighters buy homes in Ohio at a lower cost. Eligible firefighters should take advantage of these discounts on any future home purchase.
Do You Qualify?
The Ohio Housing Finance Agency (OHFA) offers discounted mortgage rates for those who serve (including firefighters) through the Ohio Heroes program. To qualify, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Employed in a qualifying profession, including firefighters and volunteer firefighters
- Must meet income requirements and purchase price limits.
- Debt to income ratios for loan type must be met
- Credit score requirements for loan type must be met: Conventional, USDA and VA Loans: 640 or higher. FHA Loans: 650 or higher
Ohio Heroes Mortgage Assistance Program
Those who qualify for Ohio Heroes may also receive down payment assistance! The Columbus Mortgage Company is your OHFA-approved lender for these and other loans. Contact us today to take advantage of the Ohio Heroes and other programs you may qualify for. Take the quiz to see if you qualify for this program.
Good Neighbor Next Door
The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers homebuying incentives to public servants through the Good Neighbor Next Door program. Firefighters and others who qualify can receive a discount of 50% from the list price of eligible homes. Participants must commit to living in the property for 36 months as their sole residence. Though the discounts available through this program are attractive, only homes located in communities targeted by HUD for revitalization are eligible.
Firefighter Next Door
As its name suggests, the Firefighter Next Door program offers a wide range of benefits for full-time and volunteer firefighters who are purchasing a home. EMT, EMS, and other fire department support staff may also take part in this program.
- Grants for purchasing a home between $1,000-$4,170, or up to $6,000 in certain areas
- Down payment assistance up to $10,681
- No application fee or broker fees
- Free appraisal (cash grant of $545 on closing)
- Reduced title fees
- Streamlined refinance process
Unlike the Good Neighbor Next Door program, these perks can be applied to the purchase of a home in any area with no minimum residency requirements.
The Columbus Mortgage Company is here to assist Ohio Firefighters with all their home lending needs. Contact us today to learn more about how the Ohio Heroes program can benefit you.